It all starts with your database.
Gary Keller said it best in his tips on how to get a job right out of college. Gary said that the first priority for any college student is to study for their degree. What many don’t realize is that their first priority as a future young professional is to build a strong database. He defines a database as a list of everyone you know personally or through a friend that you can source for opportunities. Your database should consist of anyone you know and even those you don’t. Family members, friends, friends of friends, roommates, co-workers and managers are all great sources to consider when adding people to your database. It really should consist of everyone and their dog.
Building your database really is the first step to running your real estate career like a business. Real estate is a numbers game—those who have the most qualified contacts, provide the most value, and touch their contacts most frequently will win.
Now whether you’re just starting out or have an extensive network, technology can help, but you have to get your contacts into your database before it can be your virtual assistant. And once you do, you can let technology do things for you while you focus on the important stuff—building relationships and growing revenue.
5 simple ways to get started on building your database
If you're a Top Producer CRM customer, we have options aplenty—just choose a few that are right for you. Remember the goal is to get as many people added to your database as possible. You never know when a connection might turn into a customer or a referral.
1) Manually add contacts
Your best bud in high school, Sarah from the gym, the termite inspector—as you meet them (or remember their existence) get ‘em in there. It just takes a few taps:
2) Get all of your leads to funnel into Top Producer CRM
It doesn’t get easier than this… Just grab your new address from the Settings area in Top Producer CRM (shown below) and update your lead notification address in your lead vendor site. When you do, whenever leads inquire about a listing on these sites, a new contact will automatically be created in Top Producer CRM!
3) Sync your Outlook or Google contacts
Once you set up your contacts to sync with Outlook or Google, changes you make to contacts in one program will be automatically synced to the other. Cool, right?
4) Use our Import tool to import your data from another program
You can import .CSV and .VCF files. Before you groan, know that we’ve made this as painless as possible for you. I’ve laid out the simple steps for you here.
5) Export your contacts from your smartphone and LinkedIn
Once you’ve exported your contacts, use our Import tool (#4 above) to get them in Top Producer CRM.
- LinkedIn: They’ve made it way too easy. Just go to https://www.linkedin.com/people/export-settings > select the file type you want to export (.CSV or .VCF) > then follow the on-screen prompts.
- Smartphone: How you do this depends on the device you’re using, what your device is running and other (slightly boring) factors. We found these steps for iPhone and these ones for Android (scroll down a little to see the steps). If you’d rather us walk you through it though, just give us a call.
And once you have your database, you’re off and running! Set aside some time to work on it and it’ll work for you.